Sunday, May 31, 2015

What Does It Feel Like to Parent a Child with Trauma Issues? Sia's music videos (Part Two)

This post is also available at my new website Trauma Mama Drama.  If you enjoy reading my blog, remember to update your feeds, emails and bookmarks with the new link, because eventually I will only post updates on the new site's blog.

****************************************
I felt emotionally hollowed by the video for "Chandelier," but the video for "Elastic Heart" gutted me. "Chandelier" puts me in the shoes of my step-kids and reminds me that the kids' behavior comes from a place of sadness, anger, and terror.

The video for "Elastic Heart" accomplishes this as well. However, Shia LeBouf's performance alongside Maddie Ziegler's adds a whole new emotional dimension that I did not anticipate when I started watching the video. I have had a hard time explaining to friends and family exactly what it feels like to parent my step-kids. I try to describe the pain they feel and inflict on me, the sadness and anger I feel over the whole situation, the commitment to keep trying even when it seems impossible... but my words fall far short of accurately conveying the reality of parenting children whose early-life experiences extinguished their ability to trust their caregivers.

Husband and I were overjoyed when his kids came to live with us. They were in an unsafe environment, and our home would shelter them. They would be safe with us. We would be able to fix their problems as long as they remained in our homes. But we did not understand that they would fear our safe environment full of love and kindness and predictability. To them, we weren't giving them a safe place.  They didn't even understand that concept. No. They interpreted all of our rules and structure as confining them.  We were trapping them and trying to force them to accept our love when they saw that love as a threat. To them, our house wasn't a home... It was a cage.


So, Middle and Little fought against us. Fought against our love. Attacked us. Over and over again.






And every time we thought they were starting to accept our love, starting to feel safe... Every time we thought, "Okay, Crazy Time is over. Now we can function as a family and have fun together. We can go to big events and the kids can handle it. Now we can get back to normal," something would happen and would realize they still have so far to go to heal. Feeling safe and trusting us evokes their feelings of insecurity*.  

In their minds, our safe environment threatened them, and our love couldn't be trusted. And even after almost two years, they still don't feel safe, they still don't feel like we will love them unconditionally. When they get scared that their world is going to be turned upside down,  "Fight, Freeze or Flee" kicks in, and they resist our attempts to bond with them. 




Husband and I are pretty lucky because they are young and they are too small to do any serious damage most of the time when they get angry enough to get physical. We are lucky because their violent outbursts have been rage reactions, not premeditated plans of attack. We are lucky because we have a wonderful therapist and behavior program and they are no longer physically violent or orchestrating mental manipulation on us (and each other) all day, every day. And I am thankful.

But when my kids do unsettling or violent things, I feel frightened. Their behavior can be scary on many levels... At least once a day I worry this will never get better, and that is terrifying.

The simple truth is, the intensity of their emotions can reach very scary levels. And sometimes I snap at them.



And sometimes, I do want to run away.



At times, I've felt that well-meaning friends and family have actually secretly wanted me to run away. People have asked me to really consider if I could handle parenting the kids.  If I really wanted to parent them. I've been reminded that no one would blame me for walking away from my situation. That I shouldn't be putting Oldest through all this drama for kids that "aren't really mine." And I have honestly pondered those things countless times, because the last two years have been the hardest two years I've lived.

But... I stay.  I stay, and try to comfort them when they are in the clutches of the Reactive Attachment Disorder minions.  



I stay, and do my damnedest to therapeutically parent them so that they can heal.


Here, Shia LeBouf enacts "playful" part of parenting with PACE 
(the acronym stands for Playful, Accepting, Curious, Empathetic; Daniel Hughes
established this method and his books really helped me feel more positive about parenting
Middle and Little).  Who'd have thought such an unlikely star would illustrate therapeutic parenting so perfectly?

I stay out of love for Husband.  How could I leave him to do this immense job all on his own?  How could I run away from his children when he so openly and readily accepted my biological daughter who has her own difficulties with behavior?  How could I abandon the man who has shown me so much love, who has redefined my definition of love, who would never abandon me if our roles were reversed?

I stay out of love for myself.  I couldn't forgive myself for walking away from these beautiful children who have seen more horrible things than I have seen in my 31 years.  Who have repeatedly been mistreated and abandoned.  Who so desperately want to love and receive love openly, without fear, who want to "fit" in our family... But just can't bring themselves to believe we won't hurt or leave them.  How could I live with myself if I just added to their mental distress?  I couldn't, and I know I couldn't.  So, I stay for myself.

I stay out of love for Oldest.  While it is true that in the beginning, the chaos that her step-siblings brought to our house caused her great distress, we have revamped our parenting style and put into place some steps for her to take if she feels scared when Middle or Little has a meltdown.  The "negative behaviors" Middle and Little expose her to are teaching her how to deal with peer pressure and other things that kids have to deal with as they grow, things I've always worried she wouldn't get a chance to learn with her genetic disorder.  She has someone to play with most of the time, someone to share things with. She loves her little brother and sister... and that is a good thing.  The chaos of our home can be distressing at times, yes, but having a family with two committed parents, where she really gets to see the unconditional love Husband and I have for our children, balances that out.

And, of course, I stay out of love for Middle and Little. I can't even imagine what would happen to them if I left them.  I can't imagine what their minds would do if I left them.  I know sometimes I doubt it, but the fact is they do love me as much as they can... As much as RAD lets them love me. Their expressions of love look so different than my own, and because of that I do forget this simple fact sometimes.

Watch the whole video below... and listen to the lyrics... and think about how children with traumatic pasts want your love but also fear your love...

And another one bites the dust
Oh, why can I not conquer love?
And I might have thought that we were one
Wanted to fight this war without weapons

And I wanted it, I wanted it bad
But there were so many red flags
Now another one bites the dust
Yeah, let's be clear, I'll trust no one...

Well I've got thick skin and an elastic heart
But your blade, it might be too sharp
I'm like a rubber band until you pull too hard
Yeah, I may snap and I move fast
But you won't see me fall apart
Cuz' I've got an elastic heart

And I will stay up through the night
And let's be clear, won't close my eyes
And I know that I can survive
I'll walk through fire to save my life

And I want it, I want it so bad
I'm doing everything I can
Then another one bites the dust
It's hard to lose a chosen one




*For example: Yesterday was AWESOME!  We visited Husband's family and friends, and they rocked some awesome behavior.  Little even talked himself out of a meltdown.  This is an amazing feat in its own right, but considering he had been up for fifteen hours with no nap in a place that essentailly showered him with love and safety all day long, I found his remaining calm when he didn't get the piggy-back ride to the car he wanted absolutely remarkable.  I was thrilled.  

Husband asked the kids if they'd had a good time (clearly they had... They got to go swimming twice, had two picnics, played with dogs and other kids, roasted marshmallows, and played air hockey with each other).  Oldest gleefully cheered, "YES!  Best day ever!  Middle and Little, however, were less enthused.  "My day was in the middle," Middle said.  "Thumbs up.  Thumbs down," Little said sullenly. 

I spent the car ride home quietly preparing myself for the backlash we'd likely face today.  And, so far, today hasn't been so great, but Little has had two meltdowns (short ones, thankfully!) and when I woke Middle this morning I found that she had been scratching herself and there was blood on her face and shirt. Nonsense chatter is through the roof and Middle's deliberate antagonizing of me is full force.  They are also fighting over every single thing... Simple things, like how to pet our cat or over the last time Middle wore the shirt she is wearing.

I celebrate the fact that the great time we had yesterday would have been absolutely impossible one year ago. But I mourn the fact that for my step-kids, big fun means big feelings which, more often than not, means big chaos during or shortly thereafter.

3 comments:

  1. Right there with you. I've started to wonder if maybe it's time mine start to spend time focusing on the good. Negative outlook is such a big part of RAD. Instead of asking, "how did you like it," I try to remember to ask, "tell me two things/parts you liked, and one you didn't." Trying to get them to outweigh the bad with good while still allowing them the satisfaction of being mad about something. :) We'll see if it works...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We do a calendar with Middle every night to help her understand the passage of time, and if left to her own choices she will only list bad things that happened each day. I've started making her do a "good thing, bad thing, good thing" sandwich... And more and more lately she hasn't been able to come up with a bad thing, so we get three good things! Simply starting with the positive often knocks the bad things out for her :)

      Delete
  2. Right there with you. I've started to wonder if maybe it's time mine start to spend time focusing on the good. Negative outlook is such a big part of RAD. Instead of asking, "how did you like it," I try to remember to ask, "tell me two things/parts you liked, and one you didn't." Trying to get them to outweigh the bad with good while still allowing them the satisfaction of being mad about something. :) We'll see if it works...

    ReplyDelete